Thursday, 7 September 2017

Pink & Gold Stenciled Chest Of Drawers Makeover..

Chest of Drawers D.I.Y. makeover for my tiny beautiful little niece Yasmin.. hope she likes it!



There really was nothing wrong with this lovely mid-century piece that a little paint and faffing couldn't fix. It was  chipped and scratched all over but it was built to last with amazing dovetailed details and solid veneers. 

I painted it a soft blush pink and used a simple stencil from Rustoleum to add in some gold accents to the top and drawer fronts.. 

I used some gold and pink wrapping paper I found in TK Max to line the drawers..

This chest of drawers has the cutest little handkerchief drawer on top with a tiny simple drawer pull so a painted the drawer pull pink first and then lightly feathered on the gold wax around the edges.

Here's a little close-up detail of the painted gold handels.. 

I wanted to add a little something extra so I made this design for around the drawers from crafters clay and painted it pink and gold.. (more about this below)

Look at the legs on this piece! Gorgeous.. so I did nothing special just painted the tips of the legs in gold..

For the very top of this piece I just feathered those thin edges over the little handkerchief drawer with gold..

Normally I would finish with a coat or two of Annie Sloan wax but seeing as this is going into a nursery I gave it three coats of clear varnish so it can withstand a little more wear and tear.

And that's it.  Lets hope little Yasmin loves it :-)

You can scroll on down for more photos and step by step instructions..


So first things first we cleaned the whole thing up and then Paul aka Yasmin's Dad:-) sprayed it all over with a coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in 'Olde White'. I was going to just paint it but he had it done in jig time with that electric paint sprayer! Think I'll be borrowing that sometime in the future ..


Next step was to make the decorative clay applique (or also called decorative moulding) to add a little more detail to the drawers before painting the whole thing pink. I made the appliques from modelling air dry clay and a decorative picture frame you'll see in the photos below and glued them in place using a regular arts and crafts type glue.
First roll out your piece of clay..







Once the first coat of white paint was applied and the clay aplique glued in place I gave the chest of drawers a coat of custom mixed pink paint all over. I just added a tiny dash of red Dulux paint to the  'Olde White' Paint to get a very light baby pink colour. Looks like strawberry ripple ice cream!



Once the paint was dry I taped off the decorative applique (see below) and sort of feather dusted on the gold (which is actually a gilding wax) with a small soft artists brush. Don't go too heavy with the gold. Less is more on this step..
Taping off the applique helps give a nice straight edge to the gold details. 
Here's the stencil I used below it's one I found in our local hardware shop. Simple but effective!

Supplies..


6 comments:

  1. Que comoda mas bonita ,, me encanto su trabajo ,, la felicito quedo un mueble muy vintage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angelica that's so nice of you :-)

      Delete
  2. I really like it, it looks very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a makeover! The finished piece is so beautiful and has so many lovely details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lianne that's so nice of you to say and thank you so much for featuring it on your blog. You made my day :-) Thank yo so much ..

      Delete